July 12, 2014
1. Cooked tomatoes are better for you than raw ones: the heat causes more of the antioxidant properties to be released.
2. Don’t store tomatoes in the fridge!The cold damages their delicate cell membranes. Instead leave at room temperature and to keep them from rotting to quickly – put them stem down.
3. The leaves of tomato plant can actually add a vibrant “fresh tomatoaroma” to pasta sauces.e Use like fresh basil.
4. Eating cooked tomatoes may act as a kind of internal sunscreen. They help block UV rays, but don’t toss the sunscreen, tomatoes are only a supplement not a replacement.
5. When tomatoes arrived in Italy in the mid-1500’s they were originally grown not to eat but for a garden decoration.
(Glad that idea didn’t last, aren’t you?)